Sunday, August 10, 2008

I may have cancer....

Mammograms are a blessing and a curse. On one hand they are good for early detection or any detection of the possibility of cancer. On the other hand-they can bring either good news or bad news.

My latest mammogram has showed that I have something going on on the right side-but can not determine for sure if the spots are good or bad. So I have to submit to a biopsy (steriotactic core biopsy to be exact) to determine if the spots they see are good ones or bad ones.

The procedure itself is complicated in that I have to lie face down on a table with my boob hanging down, then compressed, then a "needle" inserted to take samples to be sent to the lab. I am not looking forward to the procedure, but the waiting for the results is going to be hell. If they come back negative-great news! But that does not mean that I am in the clear. They may want to remove the bad area anyway, just in case, because later on the good can turn into the bad. If it's bad news-then surgery for sure, and then follow up. At this stage, he prognosis would be good, as I was not feeling any lumps or bumps-so if cancer it would be caught early. I am worried, I have been stress eating, and have only had 1 cigarette (quite an accomplishment!). My family is being very supportive, and my mom especially has been a help, since she is a breast cancer survivor. Her first battle had her in remission for 15 years, the second battle, although more advanced, has also been won, and now she is in remission again.

This time the tables are turned and she is the one telling me that everything will be ok, and we will get through it no matter what the news.

So that's the short story-I find out by the end of the week if I have the big "C".

It also does't help that my beloved dog Olie-whom we have had for over 10 years seems to be on the decline. He is having seizures, and my mom is just beside herself. The dogs are like her family and losing Olie now would be devasating.

I consider this to be the 2nd and 3rd in the bad things happen in 3's, as I would consider my mom's recurrence of cancer to be the first.

As Porky Pig would say, that's all folks!

I'll update as warranted...

No comments: